Four types of triggers are recognised in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha/A's Visual Fan Book:
- Aria (詠唱 Eishō)
- A long incantation, usually required for complex magic or powerful spells. Arias often include a mage's personal incantation, such as Nanoha Takamachi's "Lyrical! Magical!" Reinforce, and later Hayate Yagami, require arias for most of their spells even when less powerful mages do not.
- Command (コマンド Komando)
- A short command phrase, also known as trigger code (トリガーコード torigā kōdo). For example, Fate Testarossa's command phrase for her shooting skills is "Fire!" In cases where a mage does not need an incantation to activate a skill, the Device may bark the command in its master's stead.
- Action trigger (アクショントリガー Akushon torigā)
- A motion, usually a distinctive swing of the Device, or a finger snap. Action triggers usually accompany command phrases.
- Device activation (デバイス発動 Debaisu hatsudō)
- The autonomous activation sequence by an Intelligent Device. This usually happens when the user is in danger from an incoming attack (e.g. Auto Guard, Mach Caliber's Caliber Shot).
Follow-up command phrasesEdit
Other than the command to initiate a spell, there are also command phrases to follow up with spells for different purposes.
Snip Shot is a notable one over the series for speeding up projectiles of shooting attacks.
Besides, "... End" has also been used as a command phrase for the finish blow of ranged spells:
- Spark End (Photon Lancer Phalanx Shift, The MOVIE 1st)
- Heat End (Luciferion Breaker, Reflection)
- Burst End (Starlight Breaker, Reflection)
- ^ Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st, DVD/BRD Booklet, Magic Dictionary (Arc Saber).